Monday, June 27, 2011

Andechs Brewery and Tipsy Taboo with Australians


Sunday 5.9.2010

Andechs today! You take a train to the end of the line, and then hike up this mountain for a while to get to a monastery that has brewed beer since like, the fifteenth century. It’s supposed to be an hour hike up there, but I walk rather fast and got there in less time. Got good beer (Doppelbock Dunkel) and a food called Schweinehaxe, a bunch of pork around a bone with crispy skin. I met the friendliest couple. She was from Bavaria, he was from Austria. They were super friendly and gave me some recommendations for Bavaria. We spoke for a while, and mostly in German. The Bavarians seem to understand my accent a bit better than Austrians. The guy was describing to me this baked thing that Austrians eat. It’s called an Ausgezognet (probably misspelled that) and comes from ausziehen, to take off one’s clothes. I didn’t remember was ausziehen meant, so the guy was explaining to me. And he said (in German), “Imagine a beautiful woman. Now without clothes.” He did it in the funniest way. He was really good natured. His wife (or possibly girlfriend, I didn’t see any rings and she seemed to have a daughter by someone else) kind of rolled her eyes, and he laughed and said she hated it when he described it that way.



After a while I went to get more beer. I saw some stuff I hadn’t seen before on the menu and asked the cashier what Russ’n is. He was describing it to me, but my German wasn’t good enough to understand everything. I think he said it was some sort of wheat beer and Radler (beer and lemonade) combination. Anyway I asked if it was good, he said yes, and I ordered a litre of it. He asked, “Klein?” and I said, “Groß” and he said, “Groß?” then kind of shrugged his shoulders in an “It’s your funeral, buddy” kind of gesture. I should have read more into this. Turns out I don’t really like Russ’n. It was kind of sweet. I mean, I wouldn’t turn it down on a hot day, but I didn’t like it that much and a litre was definitely too much. I should have gone with my original plan and ordered a litre of Weißbier. However, I really wanted to try the Weißbier, so after I finished the litre of Russ’n I got a half-litre of Weißbier and sat down next to a Chinese couple and drank that. They spoke some English and German and said they were working in Munich. Anyway, don’t judge me because this is my theory: Germany brews the best beer in the world. Bavaria brews the best beer in Germany. Munich brews the best beer in Bavaria. And Andechs brews the best beer in Munich. So I was at the place that serves the best beer in the entire world. So I drank as much as possible. Two and a half litres, to be exact.

After Andechs I got back to my room and the aforementioned Australians and Canadian were playing Taboo. I joined (though I had been planning on hiking to Nymphenberg) and got dubbed Mr. Panties as the clue was “I’m not wearing any . . .” and I shouted, “panties!” The answer was, in fact, socks. After this we played cards, and eventually moved to the hostel bar. I got a Paulaner dark and met a cool Scottish guy and an older Northern Irish guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment