Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Alpine Hike

Thursday 12.8.2010

Borrowed some contact lens solution from one of my apartmentmates. Everything was good. Went on a wonderful hike all day in the Lower Austrian Alps. They had some crosses set up every so often. Not one hundred percent sure what the purpose of them was. They also had these sort of rest houses where you could stop and get some food or drink during your hike. We went to three of those. One was called Ottohaus, and the resident cat was named Otto (though I was assured it was in fact a female cat). 

Otto, of Ottohaus fame, working hard for her keep.

The other two were farther from our hotel, and I think they had trouble getting potable water there, because there were signs cautioning hikers not to refill their water bottles from the sinks, and if one ordered tea, they charged one a euro to get more hot water for it. On the way back we decided to try an alternate route, and got kind of lost. We deliberated over the map at every crossroads, but eventually found our way back to our hotel with two hours to spare before dinner. All in all a good day. I got lots of gorgeous alpine pictures and a good workout. Got back and had a beer and talked with friends and ate dinner and talked with friends more and now I’m writing this and now I think I’m going to go to bed. Not much really to say about today, just went on a hike. No connections to history today, except that the farthest resthouse we went to was called Habsburghaus. I’m not sure if that’s left over from the days when the Habsburgs were actually in power or if it’s more of a tourist-y thing. The Habsburgs, I think, were not very popular in 1918 when they lost power, but now I think they’ve kind of made a come back as Austrians have used their Habsburg past in an attempt to find a national identity, especially in Vienna, where practically everything had some connection to the Habsburgs. I’ve noticed a sign here and there around Vienna. It looks like a sort of public service announcement. It reads, “Österreich’s beste Zeit: die Kaiserzeit” which translates, “Austria’s best time: the imperial time.” I mentioned it to Kathy. The next time I see it I’m going to have to photograph it for us to discuss. Also hopefully I can get a closer look at one and see if there’s any sort of finer print explaining this. That’s all for today. Tomorrow I think we’re visiting a castle (I love castles!) and a Heurige (I love Heurigen!).

The Alps: amateur photographer's dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment