Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Return to Vienna, Die Fledermaus

Sunday 8.8.10

Sunday – Return to Wien and Die Fledermaus

The next morning we got up to find Bratislava beaming and beautiful under a friendly, light blue cloudless sky. By now our initial misgivings – formed under an overcast sky at night – had completely dissipated. Bratislava is a friendly town, the locals are very nice, and their tourist slogan, “Little Big City,” is very true. We took the boat back wishing we had booked the 14:30 rather than the 10:30, so we could stay longer.

Later we went to a café (Café Florianihof), to work on our blogs. (I’m there now, as I type this). I got an Einspänner (mentioned previously) and now I’m drinking espresso with Bailey’s Irish Cream. It’s very good and came in an adorable little cup. Later tonight we will attend a modern rendition of Strauss’s famous operetta Die Fledermaus.


So Die Fledermaus had all of the original music and lyrics, which was nice, but everyone was wearing my modern costumes. Or should I say, not wearing their costumes. They seemed to spend the entire operetta playing stripping games, and just getting progressively more and more naked. And the one really hot actress didn’t even really take anything off. Whatever. Anyway it was my first opera experience and I liked it, and the music was pleasantly stuck in my head for the rest of the night. Also Richard told me that we saw it in the same theater in which it first premiered, the Theatre an der Wien. Only in Vienna, right?

Champagne!

No comments:

Post a Comment